Who we are
We are a leading Southern African disability-focused network engaged in coordination of activities of organisations of Persons with Disabilities in the Southern Africa region. The organisation was formed in 1986 by persons with disabilities as a federation of Disabled Peoples Organisations (DPOs) with a strong presence in 16 countries. In each of these countries, we coordinate our programs and activities through our national affiiate federations of Disabled People's rganizations (DPOs), as follows:
- Federation of Organisations of Disabled People in Angola (FAPED);
- Botswana Federation of Disabled People (BOFOD);
- Lesotho National Federation of the Disabled (LNFOD);
- Federation of Disability Organisations in Malawi (FEDOMA);
- Forum of Associations of Disabled People in Mozambique (FAMOD);
- National Federation of People with Disabilities in Namibia (NFPDN);
- Disabled People South Africa (DPSA);
- Federation of Organisations of Disabled People in Swaziland (FODSWA);
- Zambia Federation of Disabled (ZAFOD); and
- Federation of Organisations of Disabled People in Zimbabwe (FODPZ).
- Federation of Association of people with Disabilities in the Comoros (FAHAC);
- National Federation of Disabled People's Association of the Democratic Republic of Congo (FENAPHACO);
- Madagascar (PFPH /MAD)
- Tanzania (SHIVYAWATA)
- Federation of Disabled People Organisation (FDPO)
"The Southern Africa Federation of the Disabled is an organisation that advocates for the rights of Persons with Disabilities as well as nurturing and strengthening its affiliates and other stakeholders in Southern Africa to ensure promotion of inclusive development and human rights for persons with disabilities."
SAFOD operates under the following motto: "Unlocking an Inclusive Society for Persons with Disabilities in Southern Africa."
"An inclusive society where Persons with Disabilities are treated with dignity, respect and on the basis of equality."
What we do
SAFOD has successfully implemented activities and programmes, delivering on its mission of strengthening DPOs in SAFOD member countries through training, research, coordination, information-sharing, promotion of human rights and stimulating persons with disabilities' political and social development.
Where we work
Currently, we coordinate our programs and activities through our national affiliates in 16 countries within the Southern Africa region. In each of these countries, our focus is mainly to strengthen the capacity of our affiliates so that they are able to effectively advocate for the rights of the persons with the disabilities in line with the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD); lobby for inclusive policies and programs; and many other activities. You can view the geographical locations of our affiliates and the activities they are involved in.